Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sugar is Sweet and so is Maple Surple

This past Tuesday I was able to chaperone Emma's class field trip to see how maple syrup was made. I was so glad to be able to go with her. For one thing, I didn't really know much about the process, and was eager to see it. I also wanted to see what Emma was like in her school environment. Mostly, I just wanted to spend time with her.
I felt like the paparazzi with all the pictures I snapped. At least I didn't embarrass Emma. Well, with the camera that is. I'm sure something I said or did was embarrassing. That's just part of being a mom, right? I know she didn't want to sit with me on the bus, but I was allowed to sit in the next seat over. Thanks, Emma.

Craft time! Making wooden name badges with "thumb-print" animals.




Emma learned all about the children's job in making syrup during the pioneer days. You can bet she loved this, but if there is any doubt, see this post. :)



Learning how to tap a tree. It was all very hands on. Well, for the kids. I could only watch. And take a ba-zillion pictures.




Here we are at "Bryan's sugar shack" watching the cooking process for the syrup. This is not Bryan. This is Bob. I don't know that there really is a Bryan.




One taste? That's it? No little sample bottles? No maple sugar candy? No pancake breakfast? You TEASE!

1 comment:

thesscurry said...

Wow that field trip looks like a lot of fun. I didn't realize that sugar season was so late this year. Thought it was more like January! And, when did your girls hair get so long? Holy cow - has it been such a long time since we've seen you?!! Olivia has a "wiggle tooth" now, and she is tons excited...
Give hugs to all the girls - and you can hug Josh too!