Monday, January 9, 2012

Why Memories Are Better Than the Real Thing, or So We May Think

Do you ever feel that way? I must confess, I often feel that way. I like to remember. I am a big fan of pulling out old photo albums and recalling how wonderful things were. I even like to pull out old photo albums where ever we may go (much to my husband's chagrin). I want to hear about other people's fond memories too. I think that is why I started blogging. I know I've said it a hundred times before, but this blog is sort of an online scrapbook for me, the memory keeper. No one has actually given me that title. Some may even argue that my memory is not as good as I'd like to think.
I guess that is sort of my problem though. With keeping all these memories, I really don't like to give any room for change. I have a hard time seeing my girls grow. I am proud of who they are becoming, but am sad that they didn't stay little.
I also tend to try and recreate moments that have grown into fond memories. This is where it really gets silly. I want (and then expect) things to go the same way every time as the way I remember it, and heaven forbid some poor sole doesn't know that, and wants to try something "new". Am I the only one? Well, guess what. It never ends well. Shocker, I know.
Let me tell you something cool though. When you decide to stop trying to make everything into this "perfect replica" things can be pretty fun.
You see, this Christmas was one for the books. It was one of those week long celebrations full of family fun, both with my side of the family, and Josh's. It was one of those times where all the kids get along, no one gets the flu, everyone enjoys the company of everyone else... It was one of those Christmases you try and recreate the rest of your life. I don't know though, maybe it will just keep getting better.


Someone tell these lovebirds they are not newlyweds anymore. ;)


Adelaide opened every gift with this much excitement! It was SO sweet!


This was our second year of doing an Advent reading. We have LOVED every minute of it.



All dressed up for Christmas morning church service.


Grandma reading a family favorite. Emma was sure to get a good spot!


This was by far my favorite thing we did with the Mathew family side. We sang Christmas carols into the night. As much fun as it was to sing, I enjoyed even more hearing Josh and his siblings and parents sing together. What a beautiful blending of sweet songs to the Lord!


3 comments:

thesscurry said...

You posted my favorite memory from Christmas time. Crying even now as I type... but thanks for sharing your picture! Love you... gotta go!

Nancy said...

Love the story and pictures!! I feel the same way about pictures, I can look at anyones. It's so wonderful when you have a celebration that you want to recreate. Enjoy your day!!

Bemily said...

why didn't you get a picture of all the in laws signing some sweet back up harmony?!
JK.... It was a great Christmas!! Just too fast!!